SOMETIMES WE'RE NOT GONNA SEE EYE-TO-EYE

SOMETIMES WE'RE NOT GONNA SEE EYE-TO-EYE
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Friday, June 11, 2010

KOBE BRYANT - THE GREAT DIVIDE

Where is the love?

When discussing the NBA's best player over the past several years, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

You either love or hate Kobe Bryant.

I can understand the love.  Bryant is fiercely intense, always engaged on the court.  He demands the best of himself on both ends of the floor.  At times, he makes the incredible look routine.  With each postseason appearance and NBA Championship ring, he creeps ever so softly into the Jordan discussion.  He may never be crowned with the "Best Ever" label, but Bryant definitely owns property in the neighborhood.

You'd expect a player with those attributes and drive to be cherished and admired by all who claim to be students of the game. You don't necessarily have to root for Bryant, but you should  at the very least, respect his talent.

So why the hate?  Especially it seems from women.  Is it totally based on the 2003 Colorado incident when he was accused of sexual assault?  A case that prosecutors dropped after his accuser was unwilling to testify.  Of course, she later brought a separate civil suit against him that was settled out of court.  One only needs to read the details of the case to make a judgement on what possibly happened that night.  But since there was no one else in the room that night except for Bryant and her, it became a he said, she said regrettable moment in their lives.

I would like to know how many women would stay with their man if they truly believed he was a rapist?  Sure, the financial cost to Kobe was astronomical.  There's never been an account of how much the civil suit was settled for.  He lost a number of endorsements (only to eventually either gain most back or get new ones).  Bryant also did what all guys do when they really have to apologize to the wife.  Nothing says I love you like a 4 million dollar ring.  To this date, Vanessa is still Mrs. Bryant.  Guess Kobe had to wait on purchasing the big screen TV that year.   

Is the hate because Kobe isn't outwardly fun loving as say Dwight "Superman" Howard?  If that's the case, and he's judged as being unapproachable, too bad.  There's no law that says Kobe has to kiss babies and pose for photos.  If he isn't on Facebook or didn't accept your friendship request, get over yourself.  If Kobe doesn't Tweet, perhaps he realizes he doesn't have to brag or boast or let you into his world.

Is it that Bryant sometimes gets on his teammates for not giving more when they should be leaving everything on the floor?  Michael Jordan certainly required the best from his supporting cast and they were better for it.  A lot of people and players in the league didn't like Jordan either.  Six rings and the Hall of Fame later, guess we know who dominated that era. 

When Kobe Bryant walks through the tunnel to take the court, I wonder if the lyrics of a popular song are   looping through his head.


So hate on but guess what
I feel like I can't miss
I know they want me to fall
But ain't nothing bigger than this
So just pass me the ball
You know you looking at a...
Winner
Winner
Winner

3 comments:

  1. I loved MJ, but never felt any sort of love for Kobe, even prior to the "rape" incident. I love basketball and can appreciate awesome talent. Kobe has always seemed so aloof, not any kind of a cool personality. His skills on the court are the only thing that matters to him and he doesn't seem to care about anything else. Which is cool for him and his family. I just don't feel the urge to root for someone like him. No team Kobe for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here we go. I think this blog was written just for me, Alan.lol
    I like Gina have never been a Kobe fan. I think he is one of the most obnoxious and arrogant players alive. I don't know which I find more disturbing, the way he disrespects his teammates or the way he sits in post game interviews with his hand on his face as if he's above talking to the media. He disgusts me.

    As far as the "incident", we all know that the young woman did not chose to not testify. His people got to her and the check was written in exchange for her silence. He bought his way out of a rape charge. No if ands or buts. "Butt" being the operative word. Let's just hope and pray he has learned a lesson and isn't a Joran Van Der Sloot and doesn't strike again. Hey maybe Kobe is a Mamba indeed. Quite poisonous! Just ask Shaq whom he ratted out. I have zero respect for rapist and or snitches.

    No I can never argue his talent on the court however to get my respect he better be performing off the court as well as on. At least Tiger went out with CONSENTING females. Kobe is whack!

    Lisa Mills

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly I need to check your blog more often.

    I completely agree with Gina and Lis. I just had this conversation this past weekend with a friend who is a Kobe fan. He couldn't understand why I loved MJ and was a huge fan of his but don't share the same fan-like love for Kobe.
    Truth is I never liked Kobe from the start either. Yes, he has mad talent, but he makes me nauseous, literally! MJ was arrogant but his arrogance didn't exude through the TV in such a distasteful way.

    When I watched him (Kobe) on TV during the 2008 Finals, again vs. Boston and he said, "I can turn it on whenever I want." I waited for him to turn it on for the next 2 games. I shouted at the TV for him to turn it on, lol. Clearly he was off and couldn't get on and lost to my boy KG and newcomer Rondo ;-)
    He's sooooo full of himself...it's quite disgusting to watch and listen to him and I believe that's what turns the women off. There's confidence and even some arrogance, which is admired and respected and then there's a tenth degree of arrogance and self loathing that is a complete turn off...he's at the tenth degree.

    As for him and that chick, whatever she was doing in his room is between them. I wouldn't go to a mans room to chat or lead him on, that's just stupid on her part. Rape is very serious to me, so if he indeed raped her, SHAME ON HIM and the Universe has a funny way of showing folks true colors. On the flip side, I know that sometimes women can place themselves in "compromising" situations and then want to scream rape. That's not cool! So he paid his way out of that one. Hopefully, he has learned his lesson.

    As per Lis, Kobe is a great athlete but yes, he's quite WHACK!

    GO CELTICS!!!

    ~Amani Abdul

    ReplyDelete